Pages

Wednesday 4 June 2014

Hammocks for Hiking


Hammock from Ticket To The Moon

One essential item of hiking equipment is shelter. Most hikers use tents, which are versatile because they come in a variety of sizes to accommodate an individual or whole families. They can also be both compact and relatively lightweight depending on how much you're willing to spend. However, the downside is that every tent requires a flat piece of ground to pitch on. I love to hike off the beaten track in rocky, steep and heavily forested areas, so finding a suitable campsite can be frustratingly difficult.

Hammocks defeat the need for meticulous campsite preparation. They can be slung up just about anywhere, they are quick to put up and take down, they are minimal impact on the environment, and they can be very lightweight indeed. There are a vast range of options out there to suit the even the most fussy sleeper. I like the Outdoor Gear Lab reviews and tips on choosing a hammock. 

But perhaps what I like best of all is that you can make a hammock yourself! Like most lightweight enthusiasts, making your own gear on the cheap is one of the great enjoyments of hiking. I found this blog To The Woods very informative on the topic and have resolved to try my hand at making my own hiking hammock.


I’ll post a further update when I’ve made some progress!

What do you think about hammocks for hiking?

No comments:

Post a Comment